Monday 23 March 2015

Home stretch

Well, somehow two weeks have passed since I last posted... and it only felt like a couple of days... oops! The last couple of weeks have certainly been busy as the semester draws to a close. Since my last post I've had a couple of opportunities to show my piece to the class to get some feedback. I have continued to fill out the piece, developing further on ideas and rethinking some ones that I had early on. One suggestion that keeps coming up pertains to a grace note figure that occurs quite frequently in the beginning and end sections. The complaint is that it occurs too frequently without change or development. I have since introduced some counter melodies and accompaniment figures that were based on the motive as well as adding some colour to the initial iterations of the motive through some re-orchestration and added harmonies/dissonances.

Another matter that was discussed was what I should title my piece. Currently it is still undecided, but it was suggested in class that it sounded like a "dogfight" (of the aerial variety), which I think is very accurate! So I am now in the process of choosing a title that would encourage this image. It was also suggested that I begin the piece with a measure or two of build so that the opening is less abrupt. I am planning to use this space to depict the engines starting up, or something along those lines.

Finally, I am still not happy with the way in which the piece ends. The class suggested that I reintroduce more of the chaos from earlier in the piece and have it build to an abrupt halt. I very much like this suggestion and am working on finding ways to achieve a chaos that out does what occurs in the opening without resorting to writing something that exceeds the technical limitations of the ensemble (which I have already pushed throughout the piece).

Only two more weeks remain until my submission is due! Its hard to believe the semester has flown by already! I hope to have the score finished within the next couple of days so that I can begin to edit. Ideally I will be editing parts by the next time I post, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment